AnAqSim (analytic aquifer simulator)
Gain more insight in less time
A quick alternative to MODFLOW and other numerical methods for modeling cases that range from simple to moderately complex.
AnAqSim is the most versatile and capable analytic element method software: multi-layer 3D systems, full transient capabilities, heterogeneity, anisotropy, fresh-salt interface aquifers, and a full suite of line boundary types.
AnAqSim has been used to simulate groundwater remediation designs, mine and construction dewatering, infiltration mounding, regional aquifer flow, capture zones, well field impacts, fresh/salt interface flow in coastal aquifers, pathlines, advective transport, and embankment seepage.
Video overview of AnAqSim:
AnAqSim In Depth Webinar Series March 10 – April 14, 2020
We are running the popular 6-session series again in spring 2020. The webinar series covers all key aspects of AnAqSim and helps you become a power user. There is one one-hour session per week for 6 weeks. Each session has segments of presentation, software demonstration, and Q&A, plus optional home exercises. Learn AnAqSim, which is quick, easy to use, and far more capable than other analytic element programs. Details here.
Release 2020-1 posted 5 February 2020
Release 2020-1 includes the following new features plus other enhancements and fixes.
- Transient model initial heads are now specified by level and x,y instead of by domain and x,y, allowing greater flexibility domain arrangements in the initial condition model and the transient model.
- Line pathlines can now propagate from equally spaced points on each segment of a polyline instead of from points on just a single line segment.
- An analysis tool to compute the discharge across all external line boundaries and report these to the run log. In a transient run these are reported for each time step. This capability is also now available in automated runs from the command prompt.
- Changed licensing to a new system where users purchase a fixed number of 1-year activations, that can be used on one computer or many computers, whenever needed.
Please see the release notes for a full list of new features.
Use PEST with AnAqSim
Several AnAqSim users are using PEST (parameter estimation software) to automate calibration and optimization of AnAqSim models. AnAqSim’s command line mode and text outputs allow you to solve a wide range of parameter optimzation problems such as
- find aquifer parameters and recharge rates that best fit observed heads and discharges,
- find optimal well locations and discharges that will capture contaminant plumes with a minimum of discharge, and
- find optimal well discharges through time to meet dewatering criteria.
3-D Dewatering Example Model
Many users are solving transient construction and mining dewatering problems with AnAqSim, so we have created an example model to show how to create such models. This model is of a construction dewatering system that includes a partially-penetrating sheet pile barrier, three partially-penetrating wells within the barrier, and a recharge trench outside the barrier where well discharge is injected back into the aquifer. The model has 7 layers in the system area and is transient with two phases of pumping. See the model and its results and download the model files.
Join the Ranks of AnAqSim Users (below is a small sample of them)
Calif. Dept. of Toxic Subst. Control
Pontificia Universidad Javeriana
So. Florida Water Mgmt. District
University of New South Wales
University of Western Australia
Woodard and Curran
WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff
Dr. Charlie Fitts, author of AnAqSim and the textbook Groundwater Science, 2nd ed., has over 35 years experience with groundwater and geotechnical consulting, and is available for consulting on groundwater modeling projects.