AnAqSim Release Notes
Release 2019-1, posted 4 Feb 2019
- Fixed typo in display of drain vertex info
- Changed interface plotting so the interface is shown in contours and profile plots when head is larger than the head at zero saturated thickness. It had been when head is larger than the head at the minimum saturated thickness, which left small gaps in the interface.
- Made it so capture constrain only applies to pathlines traced downstream; upstream pathlines are always displayed
- Write the name of initial heads file to the run log when solving with initial heads from file and not automated run
- Fixed bug where if solution converges in the last iteration = max_iterations, it reported it non-converged when it actually converged
- Fixed bug so transient model without any SVAS shows error message and loads completely (didn’t load completely before)
- Add more digits of accuracy to head, discharges, etc. written to the output file to improve accuracy of parameter estimation (e.g. PEST) derivatives
- Add ability to output Excel file with all model inputs in separate sheets of a *.xlsx file
- Fixed bug that would sometimes display a black plot area after making a plot
- Added popup labels for curves in chart plots
- Changed color palette on charts so adjacent curves are easier to distinguish
- Added Head Above – Head to cursor data displayed to left of plot
- Eliminated the splash screen that displays when loading AnAqSim – it loads fast now and splash screen was nuisance with automated runs
- Streamline plot-making. with one MakePlot menu item with current layer and time settings, another that allows you to choose layer and time
- Added calibration points where simulated velocity and direction are compared to observed. Add these results to calibration plot and text output
- Use parallel processing to speed up evaluation of functions for contours and vectors in plots (speed up larger for more cores in CPU)
- Use parallel processing to speed up line, area, well, and circle pathline tracing (speed up larger for more cores in CPU)
- Add analysis feature that writes the number of captured pathlines to run log, and include this in automated run outputs
- Search for dxf basemap in the current input file (.anaq) directory in addition to searching the path specified in the “What to Plot” input
- Allow user to name the initial head file, and have the name default to ***.hds file where *** is from the initial conditions model file name (it used to always use the transient model file name as the root)
Release 2018-2, posted 19 June 2018
- Fix bug in duplicate coordinates check when “0,0” is 2nd pair.
- Fixed error in configuration file for 64-bit version (2018-1 wasn’t able to solve above 16,384 equation limit, 2018-2 can).
- Fixed bug in head-head below in transient models.
- Adjusted scroll wheel increments so they are 3x smaller, for finer control of zooming.
- Report area of digitized closed polylines in addition to reporting length.
- Report area of Vertical Leakage Polygon Area along with leakage rates to run log.
- Modify all digitizing routines to catch and avoid crashes.
- Fix black screen on make plot, an intermittent issue on some computers.
- Put check into polyline digitizing that skips over duplicate coordinates at the digitizing stage.
- Add vertical leakage polygon areas to Analysis inputs displayed.
- Make it so hydrograph points, transient line condition lines, line for graph conditions along a line, and vertical leakage polygons can be graphically edited.
- Changed routine that sets plot window to current view so it does just that, without adjusting it for the extent of current model elements.
- When the Coordinates cell under What to Plot is blank, it zooms to the extent of the drawing (including basemap, if present), instead of just zooming to the model element extents.
- Set Plot Window to Entire Model does just that, writing the model extent coordinates to the coordinates cell under What to Plot, instead of making the coordinates cell blank.
Release 2018-1, posted 23 Feb 2018
- Fixed bug when one tries a hydrograph with a steady model
- Changed default underrelaxation to 1.0 from 0.9 (converges quicker for most simple models)
- Fixed bug in check of line boundary condition for 3rd type boundary
- Made it so if there are left/right errors with line boundaries, plots can still be drawn. Allows plotting partially-built models.
- Re-coded digitize ellipse algorithm so it is more accurate and spreads points more efficiently using sin, cos functions
- Re-do how starting radius is chosen for well pathlines, so start points are always just 1.2x well radius. With earlier algorithm, start points were at a radius 1.2x the larger of the pathline step size or the well radius. This sometimes resulted in pathlines starting at fairly large radii.
- Add error message when a transient model has no spatially-variable area sinks (SVAS).
- Changed sign of river discharges in line boundary condition check, so it’s negative for extraction out of domain, positive for injection into domain, consistent with the convention for other line boundaries and wells.
- Changed sign of drain discharges in line boundary condition check, so it’s positive for flow from the start to the end of the drain.
- Made it so pressing Edit and Coordinates buttons in input tables registers the row and proceeds, in cases where at least one other field of data has been entered. This used to always generate an error message. Now the error message occurs only if no data has been entered in the row before pressing the button.
- Updated CAD drawing component. It now supports DWG 2018 format, among other improvements and bug fixes.
- Built in warning message if license is within 10 days of expiry.
- In plots of transient line conditions, added line label to the title of the window.
- Plots can now display Analysis Inputs: hydrograph points, transient lines, graph conditions on line on plots. These all are in a separate layer of the drawing and can be turned on/off, change color, etc with View Manager.
Release 2017-1, posted 11 April 2017, minor bug fix 2 June 2017
- Allow pathlines to start from within polygons that are displayable, editable, and nestable like SVAS polygons.
- Made it so all kinds of pathlines can specify multiple levels for start points instead of just one level
- Allow constraining displayed pathlines to just those that are captured by selected wells and/or internal line boundaries
- Added pathline polylines and pathline time markers as options in profile plots
- Allow writing of pathline start points and pathline coordinates to ASCII files from Plot View/File menu
- Add surfaces based on interpolation between data points, for use as SVAS top/bottom conditions
- Made AnAqSim upper limit 15 layers instead of 14
- Made analysis menu transient graphing options to show constant discharge values during a time step (h-spec wells, h-spec lines, river, multi-domain wells), since this is how it is modeled.
- Allow graphs along a line to show flux into storage, vertical leakage
- Added flux into storage, vertical leakage to items displayed at cursor location
- Add transient line graphs of flux into storage, vertical leakage and restructured that part of analysis menu
- Added check box for tracing pathlines in a transient model using a flow field for a specified time (“frozen” field). See caveats in User Guide.
- Fixed bug in updating drain, leaky, 3rd boundaries to new conducances, in cases where user input “=__” for the ending conductance
- Fixed bug in calculation h – head below displayed to left of plot, in some transient cases
- Changed contour routine so zero labels are “0”, not “1.2345e-14” or something extremely close to zero
- Added brighter, larger splash screen
- Fixed bug in layer manager – now it preserves settings to the next plot for pathline start point and time arrow layers (2 June)
Release 2016-3, posted 3 September 2016
- Fixed null values to true for Show column in hydrograph points (had caused crash when plotting head hydrographs)
- Modified coordinate, domains, wells button click to correctly handle partly registered row
- Fixed model levels in graph conditions along line (selection was not preserved one plot to the next)
- Changed to new conductance factors that don’t have domain K in them for drain, barrier, 3rd boundaries
- Changed data table column labels for conductance factors (“/” in old labels caused problems with editing)
- Changed AnAqSimEDU from 400 to 500 equations
- Changed and updated all tutorials so all three can be done with AnAqSimEDU
- Created new short videos about user interface
- Added warning dialog before executing Make Plot/Model Elements Only, when there is a solved model
- Made change to element snap settings so it also changes snap settings for SVAS Polygons layer
- Trapped errors when user cancels solve in transient run before any iterations are complete, then goes to make plot
- Trapped errors in pathline tracing when user cancels solve before whole transient run is complete, then goes to make plot
Release 2016-2, posted 12 July 2016
- Made all elements store transient strengths, so all plot and analysis functions have access to entire transient solution
- Made it so pathlines in transient models trace through transient fields using stored transient strengths
- Allow saving/loading solutions to/from binary file, so solve step need not be repeated for large models
- Make it so head-specified wells and line boundaries can turn off in certain model time periods in transient models
- Change to a tabbed interface: Plot, Data, Log tabs
- Changed the data grid component to Microsoft’s component
- Change AnAqSimEDU so it is more capbable. All the same capabilities as AnAqSim, but limited to 2 layers, 2 time periods, 5 steps/period, 400 equations
- Added row label to error messages, so user can better locate issue
- Made a larger window with scrollbars for longer error messages
- Fixed bug in that domain and model bounding boxes did not include 3rd type boundary
- Added graph hydrographs at cursor (all levels) to right-click menu
- Moved check line boundary to right-click menu, instead of in analysis menu
- Fixed bug in coordinates used in the right-click menu over the plot (sometimes picked wrong element as a result)
- Fixed bug so SVAS polygons are selectable
- Allow display of top, bottom conditions and leakage factors at left, even if it is just a plot of elements
- Corrected pathline termination at wells for cases where the pathline step is smaller than well radius
- Fixed bug in well basis point input when multiple wells are selected in one line of input table
- Added digitizing points, polylines to context menu without instruction pop-up windows for speedier use
- Added insert, delete vertex to context menu without instruction pop-up windows for speedier use
- In cases of failed convergence, transient data is available up to the last time step
- Fixed bug in SVAS check routine – it had incorrectly used end-of-step h for storativity, not start-of-step h
- Add plot menu and plot right-click menu item that makes entire model the plot window
- Eliminate storage transition parameter from solution settings, data table, domains. Now storage parameters transition abruptly.
- Implemented standard keyboard shortcuts for open, save, save as, close
- Changed it so inserted vertexes are placed at nearest point on line rather than at digitized point
- Fixed bug when head calibration target time exactly equals total simulation time
- Allow space delimiters (in addition to commas) for transient parameter lists – allows pasting a row from Excel directly
- Added feature to get head and discharge at the nearest well to right-click plot menu
- Make plot of modeled vs. observed heads for calibration, and do all or selected. Re-did calibration menu
- Change it so “Time” values are not checked in a steady model (calibration targets)
- Trapped error where user right clicks instead of left clicks when adding a vertex
- Cascade display of interdomain boundary condition windows so they are not on top of each other
- Added startup screen that displays while AnAqSim is loading
- Added copy image to clipboard for x-y graphs
- Added tab stops to align columns in run log display of calibration data so it is easier to view and export to Excel
- Add RMSE to calibration statistics written
- Trapped error when calibration point is outside any domain
Release 2016-1, posted 7 January 2016
- Fixed bug in area sink bottom leakage. Bug occurred only in transient models with 2+ time periods in cases where the bottom condition is zero flux in all area sinks.
- Fixed bug in routine that determines what domain a point is in. Bug surfaced only with the new head-dependent normal flux (3rd type) line boundary when there were multiple domains.
- Added code to trap error if there are no SVAS domains or polygons defined in an area with well basis points.
Release 2015-2, posted 19 November 2015
- Added a head-dependent normal flux external line boundary, like the general head boundary in MODFLOW
- Added special well basis point patterns that get denser closer to well, using log flow-net distribution. This allows better accuracy in leakage and storage fluxes with fewer equations
- Added feature to sum vertical fluxes within a domain area or polygon area, and made this accessible in automated runs. Useful for water budget analysis
- Added circular specified head outer boundary that creates a uniform cross-flow, for easy creation of simple cross-flow models
- Display SVAS polygons as its own plot layer with pop-up information and graphic vertex editing, like is done for line boundaries
- Added a right click menu over the plot area that lets you quickly edit the input for the nearest domain, line boundary, well, or area sink.
- Check for the correct left/right sense on interdomain boundaries and normal flux boundaries, and give warning message when an error is found
- Add pop-up box listing pathline information at the pathline start point
- Added a symbol at the end of a pathline that ends at the model top or bottom, with pop-up information on elevation, elapsed time, etc.
- Added top and bottom conditions at cursor location to the info at the left side of plot
- Change digitizing so it returns full double precision, not single precision for more accuracy with large coordinates
- Improved computational efficiency of SVAS basis point routines
- Changed it so no polygon spatially-variable area sink (SVAS) basis points can be placed in uniform area sink areas (UAS). SVAS polygons can now overlap UAS domains with no conflict.
- Changed domain input so K2 > K1 is OK in addition to K1 > K2
- Added vertex number to interdomain and normal flux line boundary vertex pop-up info, so user can see order of boundary vertexes
- Fixed bug in modeled head function in calibration (affects transient head interpolation between time steps)
- Made evaluation of top and bottom conditions more computationally efficient
- Fixed bug in calculation of leakage factors when there are gaps in level numbers (e.g. when level 2 overlies level 4)
- Fixed bug in pathline tracing when there is a gap in level numbers (e.g. when level 2 overlies level 4)
- Trap errors with reading xml input file on opening, and report error to user
- Enlarge line boundary coordinates window
- Fixed bug that prevented drawing of last pathline time arrow if exactly equal to the total elapsed time limit
- Made the popup windows for elements offset slightly from the cursor, so you can see the cursor better
- Fixed bug with the “Contours-heavy” layer of the drawing – made it so it can’t be selected and edited
- Improved appearance of text input window when resized (e.g. snap grid spacing input uses this)
Release 2015-1, posted 19 May 2015
- Added new combined confined/unconfined domains that are confined if head is at or above the top and unconfined if not.
- Made the input of confined, unconfined and combined confined/unconfined domains all in one data table. This allows quick switching between these three common types of domains.
- Added ability to execute automated runs from the command line, with run control information read from a text file and outputs written to a text file. With this, AnAqSim can be run with parameter estimation programs like PEST, and unattended runs can be launched.
- Added input options “=K1” and “=K1*__” in K2 and K3 cells of data tables for domains. Makes it easy to keep set anisotropy ratios and easy for parameter estimation.
- Added input options “=start” and “=start* factor” for the end-of-boundary values of conductance (Rivers), rB (drain), R/b (leaky barrier). Will be easier for parameter estimation and quicker for many cases.
- Replaced chart control with Microsoft chart control, added ability to change axis limits, axis label/grid interval, make axes logarithmic, and save graph image or data to files instead of to the clipboard.
- Increased the maximum number of layers from 10 to 14. Using this many layers is generally not recommended as it pushes computational limits, but there may be cases where this many layers in a limited area could be useful.
- Made it so that changes made to plot layer colors, line weights, and visibility in view manager persist when a new plot is made, instead of having to re-set them.
- Made a separate plot layer for the heavy contours (every 5th one), so you can change their color and line weight independent of the other contours.
- Changed contour settings so you can specify the minimum and maximum levels, or leave blank for auto determination of contour range.
- Added a new method for importing river input data from a tab-delimited text file.
- Added a way of viewing combined discharges of a group of river line boundaries.
- Added a means of exporting data (e.g. heads) that is the basis of the contour plot as an ASCII x,y,z file.
- Allow transient calibration targets by adding time to target input data table.
- Added the ability to write and graph transient multi-domain well discharges broken down by domain.
- Fix issue with computation of extraction based on heads for the case of fresh/salt interface aquifers
- Improved format of calibration data displayed in the run log
- Fixed bug in pathline tracing when it goes directly under a line boundary vertex.
- When importing graphically edited line boundaries, check for duplicate vertexes and eliminate them.
- Add AnAqSim release number to input file.
- Set plot orthomode off after importing basemap (basemap can set it on).
- Improved performance of selection of items in drawing.
- Fixed issue with snap settings and view manager being out of synch on what layers are locked.
- Improved menus and analysis tools that both write outputs to the run log and/or graph them.
- Added a distance measuring too to polyline digitizing.
- Added time period and time step for transient outputs written to run log.
- Added Show column to head calibration target input, so you could select which to display – useful for transient heads at same well.
- Improved the calibration point pop-up text to also list label, modeled head, and observed head.
- Trapped errors in digitizing circles and ellipses of zero radius (length).
- Trapped errors in coordinates for line boundaries, line pathlines, area sink polygons with less than 2 vertexes.
- Make default line weight on elements larger for better visibility.
- Fixed computation of extraction by heads when the overlying domains are not in sequential levels (e.g. a level 2 domain over level 4 domain, with no intervening level 3 domain).
Release 2014-1, posted 17 March 2014
- Increase maximum number of layers to 10 from 5.
- Added Well Pathlines, which are like circle pathlines, buy stay linked to a well even when you change its location.
- Made circle part of well symbol have the actual radius, and the cross hairs be scaled with window.
- Improved the display of calibration residuals in plots. Added symbol for target location and shows residual to thousandths decimal place.
- Fixed Plot/Save As so it now exports properly to all bitmap formats.
- Fixed display of elements with details.
- Fixed issue with digitizing when snap to digitized data is off.
- Fixed issue with clearing digitizing marks when nap to digitized data is off.
- Allow 80,000 points in contour settings for finer detail plots.
- Cured issue with slow loading.
- Added message when solving systems with over 10000 equations.
- Added logic to trap error when polygon for basis points is outside all domains.
Release 2013-2, posted 27 Oct 2013.
- Add graphical editing of line boundary, well coordinates. Can move wells and line boundary vertexes with mouse. Can delete or add line boundary vertexes.
- Added snapping features while digitizing (like CAD software). Snap to elements, snap to basemap, snap to other digitized features, and snap to grid (e.g. coordinates that are multiples of 10).
- Added leaky barrier line elements. Discharge across barrier is proportional to potential difference across barrier and proportional to a barrier conductance factor. Useful for sheet pile walls, slurry walls, low-
K faults, etc.
- Added resistant drain line elements. Discharge within drain is proportional to drain conductance and head gradient along drain. Useful for drains or fractures.
- Increased size of default blank plot window from 1000 to 10000 length units.
- Added labels to wells, line boundaries as cursor moves over them, highlighting them at the same time.
- Updated the plotting component and the math library component.
- Added instructional videos to web site for tutorials and support.
Release 2013-1, posted 22 Apr 2013.
- Add discharge tangent to a line to Analysis/Graph Conditions Along a Line.
- Add a second option for computing vertical leakage between layers where an interface exists.
- Updated the plotting component.
- Updated the installer so it properly installs the .net prerequesites.
- Added a tool under the Analysis menu that computes discharges by level in multi-
level discharge- specified wells.
- Modified the 64-
bit version so it uses .net 4.5, which allows larger arrays, more equations, and larger problems.
Release 2012-2, posted 5 Nov 2012.
- Improved the performance of licence checks so it takes less time
- Trapped error when user eliminates a level but transient line conditions or hydrograph input still refers to deleted level
- Improved extraction computation for cases with polygon spatially-
variable area sinks
- Added z coordinate to plotted pathlines, contours so when a plot is exported that 3D information is in DXF file. Handy for exporting these dxf files to 3D visualization software.
- Made each pathline set its own layer, so pathline sets can be individually manipulated with layer manager (on/off, color, etc)
- Fixed bug in elevation of pathlines that cross under internal line elements and through inter-
- Made it so user can cancel after pressing the exit button
- Made it so clicking on a .anaq file will open AnAqSim and the file, once the user associates .anaq files with AnAqSim in Windows
- Issue a warning for inter-
domain boundaries with multiple levels on both sides
- Updated tutorials in User Guide
- Updated the plot drawing component. Plot Menu / Save As now supports 2010 DXF format and PDF files with layers for each drawing layer
- Updated the numerical library component and the graphing and datagrid components
- Updated the installer, fixed issues with .net versions
Release 2012-1, posted 14 Apr 2012.
- Added AnAqSimEDU version
- Added 64 bit AnAqSim version
- Trapped errors with plot window coordinate min > max
- Trapped error where user double-
clicks line element digitizing input (zero length element)
- Updated the plot drawing component
- Added feature that crops drawing outside polygon, changed polylines (pathlines, line elem) to lines, so cropping works better.
- Added projection of 3D pathlines to vertical section plots under Analysis menu
- Fixed bug with digitizing before having made a plot
- Fixed bug with multilayer head profiles where layers are staggered vertically
- Replaced licensing code with a different scheme that uses a license file instead of a key code
- Made it so user can pick any DXF basemap file and store the basemap file name with AnAqSim input file.
- Changed dry-
up condition to leave constant vertical conductivity, which helps convergence and allows recharge to drop to level below dry level
- Added almost_dry_fraction parameter to solution parameters, rather than setting it always to 0.01 (for handling domain dry-
Release 2011-4, posted 8 Dec 2011.
- Fixed bug in the reading of top and bottom conditions for area sinks in transient models, a bug introduced in release 2011-
3 and which shows up during pathline tracing and checks of extraction.
- Changed settings of the View Manager so that line widths can be changed.
Release 2011-3, posted 21 Nov 2011.
- Now opens basemap.DXF as well as basemap.dxf (eliminate case sensitivity)
- Run log now reports time/date at end of non-
converged solve also
- Fixed bug in computation of extraction based on heads if there is leakage from above or below
- Added non-
Dupuit Interfaces to profile plots (uses elevation- dependent head to estimate interface elevation where there are multiple levels present)
- Trap error where line boundaries only have 1 x,y and program crashes
- Update math, data grid, and chart components to current releases
- Fixed bug in input of transient values –
now there can be values for as many time periods as wanted, not just 2.
- Fixed bug in vertical tracing of pathlines where there are polygon spatially-
variable area sinks that alter the top or bottom condition from the domain- wide spatially- variable area sink top and bottom conditions.
- Trap crash when user tries to digitize over a basemap opened with plot file menu. This is now possible.
Release 2011-2, posted 25 Aug 2011.
- Added unconfined interface and confined interface domains for simulating coastal aquifers with fresh/salt interfaces.
- Transient line conditions now also allows plots of interface elevations through time
- Added vertical profiles to Analysis / Graph Conditions Along Line. Profiles may show layer boundaries, heads in all levels, and fresh/salt interfaces in interface domains
- Changed hydrograph plots so they could show head or drawdown, and so that you can read in observed hydrograph data and show it alongside simulated hydrographs.
- Posting to run log at end of solve now includes time so you can compute accurate solve times
- Changed computation of vertical conductance factors in unconfined and interface domains. Now the vertical conductance is based on K3 values and the saturated thickness at the user-
specified average head. In the 2011- 1, vertical conductance in these domain types depended on saturated thickness at the prior iteration. This change improves convergence.
- Graph Conditions Along Line now remembers previous settings
- Fixed bug in transient line conditions when using constant starting heads
- Fixed bug with File / Exit command when user cancels
- Fixed bug when contour interval is set to less than or equal to zero.
- Fixed bug with defining well radius and head inside well
- Updated licensing component
Release 2011-1, posted 1 June 2011
First release of AnAqSim after beta-testing phase.